What do you think about James Cantor’s research on pedophilia?

Ksenia

Фея
What do you think about James Cantor’s research on pedophilia?
Pedophilia is very controversial subject, because this condition is not only atypical sexuality but also a paraphilia which could be associated with sexual offence against children. Due to   obvious social relevance of this condition good scientific studies about etiology, assessment and treatment of pedophilia are urgently needed.  I think that Cantor’s studies are example of good sciene in this field. I would like to speak about his studies here. If you don’t familiar with them you  could see this video. «Brain research andpedophilia what is meant for assessment, treatment and policy» All opinions are welcome!

Последнее редактирование:
?Good evening!
My opinion ... I'm different, "pedophiles" like having a sexual attraction to children - from adults, which may in some conditions performing sexual acts with children.
?Biological factors may of course be important. But determining whether or not - the science does not know. Therefore, I study the personality of each of the pedophile, my patient - in detail and deeply, not excluding any biological or psychological mechanisms. In the name of truth :)The criterion of truth, remember - practical verification of psychotherapeutic methods of individual working hypothesis.

Cantor with coauthors also differentiates pedophilic child molesters from nonpedophilic child molesters using penile plethysmography. His methodology is very rigorous, I don’t have objection to it, but I have some cautions to conclusion of his studies.

He have claimed that pedophiles are  born this way, but he didn’t provide any rigorous evidence for this assertion. Atypical handedness, minor physical abnormalities are only evidence of  nonspecific perturbations  of development  of fetus in the uterus.They are nonspecific because atypical handedness, minor physical abnormalities are also   correlates of schizophrenia, autism, epilepsy,mental retardation and so on.  It’s more likely that pedophiles aren't born this way, but born with nonspecific vulnerability of the central nervous system. But a lot of people with this  vulnerability don’t become peodphiles, moreover many people with more serious organic brain damage are straight!   This article provides evidence that most high functioning autistic people are straight, althoug asexuality is more prevalent among this population.  

Kirill89_3 () писал:
Cantor with coauthors also differentiates child molesters from nonpedophilic child molesters using penile plethysmography. His methodology is very rigorous, I don’t have objection to it, but I have some cautions to conclusion of his studies.
I did plethysmography, many years ago. Rheovasography with the visual stimulation of a photo slideshow. I set some principles that can deceive plethysmography.

Цитата:
He have claimed that pedophiles  born this way, but he didn’t provide any rigorous evidence for this assertion. Atypical handedness, minor physical abnormalities are only evidence of  nonspecific perturbations  of development  of fetus in the uterus.They are nonspecific because atypical handedness, minor physical abnormalities are also   correlates of schizophrenia, autism, epilepsy,mental retardation and so on.  It’s more likely that pedophiles not born this way, but born with nonspecific vulnerability of the central nervous system. But a lot of people with this  vulnerability don’t become peodphiles, moreover many people with more serve  organic brain damage are straight!   This article provides evidence that most high functioning autistic people are straight, althoug asexuality is more prevalent among this population.  
Absolutely! I also check every pedophile story, a man with features of sexual desire, and find plausible reasons for his paraphilia in his past. Sometimes - in early childhood, and sometimes - in the later, sometimes it has "organic disorder", sometimes - not. IMHO - requires cross-checking in each case, including - by direct inspection. I mean - after psychotherapeutic influence on the true "critical points" in the past, in memory - pedo-drive diminishes or disappears. IMHO - it can be quite convincing evidence, in the absence of clear criteria neurobiological localization "parafilnyh cores" in the brain.

Questions autism - can serve as a paraphilia of the individual models. But not the only one, IMHO.
?

I've never heard of any plausible studies in this field. Most reasoning goes to "chilhood trauma". Cantor's view is a bit "lombrosoish" to me.
There are organic changes in the brain of depressed people, although it is difficult to pinpoint direction of causality. Why is it problematic to seek organic basis for sexual preferences? It is not problematic for me. Some people prefer different foods because they can have different genes which determines different conformation of chemical receptors. In the same vein different people can have different sexual preferences.

Also, what should we say about , so to say, soldiers who rape 11-12 years old gir!s? They are not pedofiles. Just rape what can be raped.
What becomes of sex to their victims in case they survive? One way - nothing, the thing ppl do to get pleasure, a coin, no feelings. I don't know other ways, but I'm interested.
Klaus Beier explained different kinds of sex оffendrers against childrein in this video.

I think his research is very idiotic and dumb, - but you already know that :) There have been some valid points already said here, - but Cantor does not seem to have a rudimentary understanding of the statistical tools he is using, just to start with. His work is a middle finger to Jensen's inequality, - which is why he is in a committed relationship with ANOVA and putting it up on a display for all the whole world to see.

Should I do a write-up why sometime?

Hi everyone, - I'm back!

I think his research is very idiotic and dumb, - but you already know that :) There have been some valid points already said here, - but Cantor does not seem to have a rudimentary understanding of the statistical tools he is using, just to start with. His work is a middle finger to Jensen's inequality, - which is why he is in a committed relationship with ANOVA and putting it up on a display for all the whole world to see.

Should I do a write-up why sometime?

Hi everyone, - I'm back!
Hi!

Can you elaborare why ANOVA isn't appropriate statistical tool? I think it is used in other neuroscientific papers. In fact Cantor used 2 methods of analysis. The first one is Voxel Based Morphometry, and the second method is manual parcellation of brain structures and after that application of ANOVA. Regarding VBM with Family Wise Correction it is pretty standard tool in the neuroscience. Also Cantor wrote that paper with a lot of coauthors, a lot of members of the CAMH and the University of Toronto participated in that project.

Новые комментарии

LGBT*

В связи с решением Верховного суда Российской Федерации (далее РФ) от 30 ноября 2023 года), движение ЛГБТ* признано экстремистским и запрещена его деятельность на территории РФ. Данное решение суда подлежит немедленному исполнению, исходя из чего на форуме будут приняты следующие меры - аббривеатура ЛГБТ* должна и будет применяться только со звездочкой (она означает иноагента или связанное с экстремизмом движение, которое запрещено в РФ), все ради того чтобы посетители и пользователи этого форума могли ознакомиться с данным запретом. Символика, картинки и атрибутика что связана с ныне запрещенным движением ЛГБТ* запрещены на этом форуме - исходя из решения Верховного суда, о котором было написано ранее - этот пункт внесен как экстренное дополнение к правилам форума части 4 параграфа 12 в настоящее время.

Назад
Сверху